Thursday, March 12, 2009

Trying to make a Day at the Witte....

Have you ever just totally forgotten to do something that absolutely had to get done? Well, Tuesday was one of those "realization" moments!! The kids and I at times will try to go to the Witte Museum on Tuesdays because they are free from 3-8pm. So, Chris had set it up with Tiff, Brianna and their mom Anita a get together at the Witte - without telling me anything. I had a few things to do and I was not in a rush to get to the museum. So we finally leave at 4:30pm. They had been waiting since 3 pm. --- Hello? ---

Chris was like "Mom, they're already leaving!!"

"Who, Chris?"

"Tiffany and them..."

"Were they expecting us?"

"Yes, I told you!!"

( He had not told me because if he had - I would've made every effort to be there on time...)

So, we head off and get onto I10 and then I35N and get caught in a traffic jam!! We make it there about 6 after 5. As we are turning onto Funston street, I pass a park police and we all wave as we pass. Well, he turns around unbeknownst to me and turns on his lights! I keep on going and the kids are like,"Mom, the cop is coming behind us with his lights on." I look into the rear view mirror and sure enough here he comes! I make a left into the Witte parking lot and it was jam packed due to Spring Break!! We are at a stand still and the policeman gets off and says to turn into the next available space. I finally turn into a handicap spot and he pulls up right behind us. I am trying to figure out why he has pulled us over and the kids are all excited and of course an audience has gathered.....Chris, quick - give me the insurance from the glove compartment. What? It just expired? I had forgotten to replace it with the new one.

"May I see your license and insurance?"

"Yeah, here you go..... what is the problem?"

Here comes my moment!! He points to my inspection sticker ( It was expired since January!!!! )

"I'm sorry officer! It totally slipped my mind!!"

"That's ok... it happens at times... I'll be right back."

He goes off to check my info and I call hubby to let him know what was going on...... apparently it had slipped his mind too.... When the officer returned he issued me two citations: one for expired inspection sticker and the second for no insurance. He did assure me that they could be easily dismissed when I take care of them and show the judge. ( COOL!! ) He waves bye to the kids and then just as he's about to leave he turns around and says,

" Did you know it's illegal to drive without your shoes on?"

"............WHAT???" I looked confused.....

He laughed and said he was just kidding and for us to have a great day!!

................Needless to say - we didn't make it to the Witte and just turned around and went home.

:O)

1 comment:

Googz said...

Love it! Cops with a sense of humor... So sorry about the confusing day, but it makes for a great story (and future laughable memory). Thanks for sharing. :-)